Friday, January 25, 2008

time to check the Lost & Found

i bicycled home from my late class last night; it was cold, so i was all bundled up. when i got home i shed my sweaty clothes, used the bathroom, and then realized that my rings were gone. aack!

frantically, i dug through my backpack, the pockets of my jeans (which i'd changed out of at school) and jacket and gloves. nothing. normally i was very careful with my rings, never taking them off or setting them down except at home. but not this time.

one is a sterling silver ring that a dear friend gave me (an irreplaceable token of our bond). the other is a 14-karat gold graduation ring (that i'd painstakingly modified to add a 1/2 to the 92). both gone.

maybe i'd left them in the school bathroom where i changed out of my jeans; maybe i'd left them in the classroom when i gathered my stuff to bicycle home; maybe i'd left them outside when i put on my gloves before riding off.

i remember seeing them on my hand while i was sitting in the cafe, so i knew i'd really been wearing them. damn.

i searched through everything i'd had with me again, one last time. i'd finally given up and was willing to let the silver ring pass back into the chaos of the world in which my friend originally found it. and my graduation ring? my wedding ring to academia (as i thought of it)? my donation to oblivion. despair had set in.

those parts of my life were over and done. good-bye and fare well. and then i walked into the bathroom to take a shower. there, on the metal lid of the wastebasket by the toilet, where i'd set them when i first came home, were my rings. salvation.

2 comments:

sus said...

what does it tell you about attachment?

dsm32 said...

heh, that despite my desire to be entirely cut off from the world and from people, i still care a little.